4.18.2011

sewing a fishing vest

this has been a project on my to-do list for way too long; a fishing vest for john. seriously, i had planned on having this made for him by last fall so he could go local fishing with his friends. that clearly did not happen. so finally over the winter time i moved it to the top of my priority list and started sewing. the outside of the jacket is a light beige medium weight denim, the pockets are lined with a red corduroy and the inside lining is a chocolate brown corduroy. i used the kwik sew pattern 2198 - a good pattern, but it did skip one step or series of steps at one point and it didn't line the zippered pockets. i didn't want the zippers to open to the entire insides of the jacket so that's where i added the red corduroy lining. the jacket turned out rather heavy and probably too warm, if i were to make it again i would keep the main lining denim and probably line the pockets in cotton. this pattern was quite the exercise in sewing techniques. there are quite a few different types of pockets and different types of zippers. the jacket was a lot of cutting and a whole lot of sewing and has more embellishments than anything i've ever made i think. i'm glad i made it and i think john will really enjoy using it, but i will not be making another one of these - it's a big job.
Follow Me on Pinterest email me