jig making

for john's birthday, i got him some stuff to get started on making his own jigs (he asked for it - i wouldn't have know what to get or that you even could make your own.) he already was tying his own flies and this took it to another level. i was so impressed and they look great. so he had a mold - that thing with handles that folds in half; lead; melting pot; and hooks. we watched some youtube videos first to make sure we knew what we were doing - i was just there for support; john did it all. so you heat up the mold, melt the lead, lay your hooks into the mold, pour the lead into the mold, and cut off the excess lead. very cool. later he paints them and does the feather tying and such. and a little lead made a lot of jigs. i might be forgetting a step or two, since i was just the observer, but that's the gist and i love the pictures of the molten lead being poured.


bear hoodie

this picture is way over-exposed, but i took it real quick with my phone and did an awful job of it. but the hoodie is super cute (and the kid :).) so i crocheted alex this hoodie cowl with ears. how great will this be during the extreme cold winter we're going to get again this year. i am planning on making one for myself as well, but in greys and without the ears (alex said it would be a little weird if mine had ears - basically she called me too old for ears, haha.) this hoodie would be the perfect pattern as well for an ewok costume - just make the hood part a burnt brown/orangish color with the ears brown - it'd be perfect. it's a little big on alex - i made her an adult size since she's always had a larger head than average - but there's still plenty of room now to add earmuffs or layer another hat when it gets really cold out. she wore it yesterday to school and i guess it was a big hit among all the adults :)


love tattoo headband

there's a magazine that with every issue you get a little craft packet project - Mollie Makes magazine. these are great little projects to pack in our "at the cabin" art bin. i especially liked this project: a retro tattoo heart brooch. and i do love a good brooch, but i hate putting a pin thru my clothes, so i thought i'd make this one into a headband instead. so everything you need to make this is in the little packet - except the pattern to cut out the pieces! that is in the actual magazine, which i didn't have, so i freehand cut out the heart and the flowers and banner and letters. i also glued some little jewels onto the flowers. i added a little padding inside the heart as well (which didn't come in the packet, but the image looks like it's stuffed a little.) and finally i sewed the heart onto a skinny elastic headband via a circle felt piece. i love it! i will definitely be sporting this on valentines day.


month of drawing: week 4 (last week)

this set of drawings/doodles is from the last week of the month of drawing challenge. the theme of the week was cityscapes. by this time in the challenge i was just ready to be done! it was getting harder and harder to fit in drawing time and keep up with the challenge. i wanted to finish the entire thing though so i kept going. so the daily prompts were: skyline; taxi; map legend; landmark; and selfie. eh, i'm not a big fan of this set, but the taxis are kind of fun, and the cleveland skyline is ok. i don't think i've ever drawn a person (other than the live model sketching in art class ages ago), but i think the selfie turned out alright. well, the challenge is done; i had fun and i'm glad i did it!


month of drawing: week 3

here's my set of sketches for the spoonflower month of drawing week 3. the general theme was animals. by the 3rd week it was getting really hard to keep up with fitting in drawing time every day, but i kept going. i like the cat.


month of drawing: week 2

for week 2 of the spoonflower month of drawing challenge the main theme was lettering. you still got a daily prompt of inspiration, but they were all meant to have lettering incorporated in them. i love lettering, so this was my favorite week i think. i like most of what i made this week too. i already have digitized the dreamers of dreams one to use on a sleep mask design (i'm working on a whole set of lettering designed sleep mask fabric.) i love the dreamers one, but my favorites out of this group are the lemon and the toast. the "that's my jam" cracks me up every time i look at it - i love having these in a sketchbook, but i might have to recreate a couple of these in order to frame.


month of drawing: week 1

in august, i participated in the spoonflower month of drawing challenge. every day you got a prompt as to what to draw and you posted your drawing with #spoonchallenge. i'm really not an illustrator, but i do enjoy doodling and rarely find time to do it. i thought this would be a good way to give me subject ideas and give me some accountability to keep up with it for a month. some days were harder than others with working full time and then taking alex to activities and school starting and dinners to be made and lunches and bath time and you get the idea. but anyways, i did it! even if i only have a short amount of time to draw, i found a way to fit it in. so here's the first week of the challenge, top to bottom. the prompts for the first week were: 1. cactus; 2. mountains; 3. trees; 4. landscape; 5. river. there are definitely drawings during the month that i liked and some that i really hated and didn't even want to post, but i did anyways. in this batch i like most of them, my least favorite being the mountains. i think i like the gang of  cacti best :) although i might spend some time and redraw the trees one to frame as maybe a future anniversary gift or something (thanks pennycandy for that idea.)
Follow Me on Pinterest email me